Monthly Weather Review
(ISSN 0027-0644), Vol. 140, 2012
Monthly Weather Review (MWR) publishes research results relevant to the analysis and prediction of observed atmospheric circulations and physics, including technique development, data assimilation, model validation, and relevant case studies. This includes papers on numerical and
data assimilation techniques that apply to the atmosphere and/or ocean environments as well as socioeconomic analyses of the impacts of weather and weather forecasts. MWR focuses on phenomena having seasonal and subseasonal time scales. Reviews of climatological aspects of high- impact events such as hurricanes, as well as review articles, are occasionally published.
- Articles - Full-length, up to 7500 words or 26 double-spaced pages of text (not including references, figure and table lists, and figures).
- Expedited Contributions - Shorter articles with an expedited peer-review and publication cycle, limited to 2,500 words or 9 double-spaced pages of text (not including references, figure and table lists, and figures) and no more than 6 figures and tables. Expedited contributions undergo one round of reviews within 2 weeks of receipt by the Editorial office, and authors will have a deadline of 4 weeks to complete revisions. Expedited Contributions should be published 10 to 12 weeks after final acceptance. If the manuscript grows beyond the length or figure criteria specified above during the review and revision, or if it requires a second round of reviews, the contribution will move out of the expedited contributions category and will be considered as a regular article.
- Comment and Reply Exchanges - Comments are written in response to a published article. The author of the article being commented upon always has the opportunity to write a reply. These exchanges are published together.
- Review – A Review Article reflects excellent scholarship that synthesizes previously published literature. Authors of Reviews may address successes, failures, and limitations of previous works.
- Picture of the Month - A Note emphasizing imagery of weather phenomena of interest to the meteorological community.
- Annual Weather Summary – An extensive overview of, for example, an entire season of hurricane activity. A Summary may be granted a higher word count, at the Chief Editor's discretion.
Early Online Releases
- May 13, 2013
- Assimilation of satellite infrared radiances and Doppler radar observations during a cool season Observing System Simulation Experiment