Monthly Weather Review
(ISSN 0027-0644), Vol. 140, 2012
Monthly Weather Review (MWR) publishes research results relevant to the analysis and prediction of observed atmospheric circulations and physics, including technique development, data assimilation, model validation, and relevant case studies. This includes papers on numerical and
data assimilation techniques that apply to the atmosphere and/or ocean environments as well as socioeconomic analyses of the impacts of weather and weather forecasts. MWR focuses on phenomena having seasonal and subseasonal time scales. Reviews of climatological aspects of high- impact events such as hurricanes, as well as review articles, are occasionally published.
- Articles - Full-length, up to 7500 words or 26 double-spaced pages of text (not including abstract, references, figure and table lists, and figures).
- Expedited Contributions - Shorter articles with an expedited peer-review and publication cycle, limited to 2,500 words (approximately 9 double-spaced text pages), not including abstract, references, figure and table lists, and figures, and no more than a combined total of 6 figures and tables. Multi part papers are not allowed. For Expedited Contributions the Editor will expedite the review process and the AMS publication department will accelerate manuscript preparation for publication in final form. Authors will have a deadline of 4 weeks to complete revisions. Expedited Contributions should be published 10 to 12 weeks after final acceptance. If the manuscript grows beyond the maximum length or figure criteria specified above during the review and revision, the Editor will decide if the paper remains an Expedited Contribution or becomes a regular article. If, however, the paper requires a second round of reviews the contribution will move out of the expedited contributions category and will be considered as a regular article.
- Comment and Reply Exchanges - Comments are written in response to a published article. The author of the article being commented upon always has the opportunity to write a reply. These exchanges are published together.
- Review – A Review Article reflects excellent scholarship that synthesizes previously published literature. Authors of Reviews may address successes, failures, and limitations of previous works.
- Picture of the Month - A Note emphasizing imagery of weather phenomena of interest to the meteorological community.
- Annual Weather Summary – An extensive overview of, for example, an entire season of hurricane activity. A Summary may be granted a higher word count, at the Chief Editor's discretion.
Early Online Releases
- June 18, 2013
- GSI 3DVar-based Ensemble-Variational Hybrid Data Assimilation for NCEP Global Forecast System: Single Resolution Experiments
- June 17, 2013
- A comparison of the Canadian global and regional meteorological ensemble prediction systems for short-term hydrological forecasting
- June 17, 2013
- Evaluation of SSMIS Upper Atmosphere Sounding Channels for High-Altitude Data Assimilation