Journal of Physical Oceanography
(ISSN 0022-3670), Vol. 42, 2012
Journal of Physical Oceanography (JPO) publishes research related to the physics of the ocean andto processes operating at its boundaries. Observational, theoretical, and modeling studies are all welcome, especially those that focus on elucidating specific physical processes. Papers that investigate interactions with other components of the earth system (e.g., ocean–atmosphere, physical–biological, and physical–chemical interactions) as well as studies of other fluid systems (e.g., lakes and laboratory tanks) are also invited, as long as their focus is on understanding the ocean or the ocean's role in the earth system.
- Articles - Full-length, up to 7500 words or 26 double-spaced pages of text (not including references, figure and table lists, and figures).
- Expedited Contributions - Shorter articles with an expedited peer-review and publication cycle, limited to 2,500 words or 9 double-spaced pages of text (not including references, figure and table lists, and figures) and no more than 6 figures and tables. Expedited contributions undergo one round of reviews within 2 weeks of receipt by the Editorial office, and authors will have a deadline of 4 weeks to complete revisions. Expedited Contributions should be published 10 to 12 weeks after final acceptance. If the manuscript grows beyond the length or figure criteria specified above during the review and revision, or if it requires a second round of reviews, the contribution will move out of the expedited contributions category and will be considered as a regular article.
- Comment and Reply Exchanges - Comments are written in response to a published article. The author of the article being commented upon always has the opportunity to write a reply. These exchanges are published together.
Early Online Releases
- May 23, 2013
- On the Exchange of Momentum over the Open Ocean
- May 23, 2013
- Divergent eddy heat fluxes in the Kuroshio Extension at 144°–148°E. Part 1: Mean structure