Studies & Analysis
Policy Program studies and analysis expand the knowledge base on which societal decisions rest.
- Climate Change Risk Management
This study identifies potential policy responses to climate change and explores their strengths and weaknesses.
- How to Deal with Climate Change
Climate Change is a complex and contentious public issue, but the risk-management options available to us are straightforward and have well-characterized strengths and weaknesses, as described in this article in Physics Today.
- A Prescription for the 21st Century: Improving Resilience to High-Impact Weather for Healthcare Facilities and Services
A risk management framework to increase the resilience of healthcare facilities and services to high-impact weather events.
- Weather and Climate in the 2015 Budget
Analysis of President Obama's budget request
- Climate Information Needs for Financial Decision Making
The implications of climate variability and change on near-term financial investments.
- Frameworks for Pricing Greenhouse Gas Emissions
A new approach to carbon pricing that emphasizes climate protection in all cases.
- Climate R&D in the 2014 Budget Request
Analysis of the President's priorities for climate science in FY-2014.
- Earth Observations, Science and Services for the 21st Century
Earth observations, science, and services (OSS) are part of our critical infrastructure – a national asset that, if lost or degraded, will not meet future societal needs that span the whole of the national agenda.
- Carbon Cycle Uncertainty and Climate Risk
Carbon Cycle Uncertainty Increases Climate Change Risks and Mitigation Challenges
- Satellite Navigation and Space Weather
Vulnerability and resillience of Global Positioning System (GPS) in the face of space weather.
- Under the Weather
Vulnerabilities to hospitals and to healthcare continuity from severe weather events.
- U.S. Federal Climate Policy: emission fees
The advantages, disadvantages, design pricinples, and remaining needs for carbon fees.
- Space Weather and Aviation
The impact of space weather on aviation safety, economics, and operations.
- IEOS/GEOSS Implementation
Challenges and opportunities in the design and implementation of a global earth observing system.
- Responding to Climate Predictions
To respond effectively to climate predictions that involve significant seasonal variations, governments also require appropriate policies governing public and private decisions – at the local, national, and international levels.
- Weather and Highway Safety
Improving the safety and efficiency of the roads for the benefit of the traveling public.